Vortigaunt Megathread May 5, 2016 23:15:26 GMT
Post by Broken on May 5, 2016 23:15:26 GMT
In this thread I wish to notify the current faction members about a very important topic, and that is proper FREE vortigaunt RP, what to do and what not to do, what is allowed and what isn't. If you wish to be a worthy vortigaunt, you need to follow these guidelines to the letter.
The Vortigaunt faction is one of the hardest to RP properly. This is because they are aliens, compared to most other factions, which are humans. RPing an alien can be a challenging task, most players overlook this fact, which is why they make the same mistakes over and over again. I will briefly go over each mistake, and how to prevent it from happening.
- Being traitorous
The first mistake most people are making is being a vendigaunt. Vendigaunts are basically Vortigaunts who more often than not, spend their time selling goods for tokens to gain a fortune. Here is why this is a bad habit.
Vortigaunts have no concept of currency and economy and they do not care about/need this knowledge in the first place. Being a vendigaunt is actually FailRP.
Their main goal is to survive. To do that, you need 3 basic things: water, food and shelter. The shelter is the sewers, a place that is away from keen eyes like the Overwatch, where they are in relative "safety" compared to the surface. Food and water is your "currency". Hunting script items shouldn't be your main goal. Because of this, the whole Vortigaunt faction are being called sub-human filths and similar. Lets show them we are better than that. From now on, people who majority of the time are script hoards/hunters and then jump to the basement or refugee camp to be a vendigaunt are harming the faction and will be dewhitelisted immediately for Fail RP. This is your only warning. The only condition when you could hunt scripts is when you are out of food and you need them to trade for it.
When you do stumble upon valuable supplies like crafting materials, rusty guns, or even fully working weapons, what you need to do, is to trade them for food and water. I know what you are thinking, "What are you smoking? An AK-47 is worth way more than simple food." Let me answer this question with another one. Once you sell your AK-47 for 6,000 tokens, what can you buy with them? You hardly craft anything, so crafting materials are a no go, you can't wear suits, you can’t use weapons. What's left? Ah yes, food and water. So, you tell me, why do Vortigaunts even need tokens? Another argument you might mention is, “Well, we can buy those with tokens!”. Why don’t you trade your stuff for those necessary supplies rather than selling them for tokens in the first place? The only condition when you could sell these scripts for tokens is if you need them to help a rebel out financially, not for yourself.
The second mistake is being traitorous, which is forbidden, in most cases, even in the rules. We again come back to the point I made in the second paragraph, Vortigaunts are aliens and as such they do not rat out people they trust. They also do not generally scam people. They can however do those things provided they have a valid reason or are provoked, always ask the faction leaders to clear any confusion if you wish to do proceed.
Vortigaunts have a common enemy with humans, and there is no reason for them to be traitorous or to scam.
Third mistake is breaking Fear RP. Vortigaunts are not fearless rambos and are quite the opposite, they prefer to stay out of conflicts and always try to prevent them one way or another, hence their goal for survival. Going out of the basement in D4 just like that without a solid reason is breaking Fear RP, because you could be spotted, initiate a sweep as a result and get killed by the CP. Mind you, going in the basement shouldn't be your "hobby", because of the same reasons. I suggest you head for the basement only when you cant find RP in the sewers (low server population), you want to trade for some food or water (quickly) or you need to meet with a citizen for some task (mainly food delivery).
Speaking Vortigese as a Vortigaunt requires using their mouth, which is shaped in a much different form than a human one. This enables them to have a pronunciation that is otherwise impossible for a human to perform. Even they say it themselves, "...cannot be understood by those whose Vortal inputs are impaired." The language has some inaudible components, which explains why it's difficult to understand for humans. The way Vortigaunts speak is by utilizing telepathy in the form of a hive-mind that connects every Vortigaunt, otherwise known as flux-shifting. As creatures who are skilled at using the Vortessence, they can use this all-woving force to provide context to their conversations. In other words, a given phrase can have 10 different meanings, all dependent on the context applied. This is another reason why Vortigese seems weird to humans (even to us, the players!). Their inability to access this hive-mind limits their perception and information (context) is lost during translation so to speak.
For us the players, we can explain some of the context during RP by using punctuation such as hyphens (-) and apostrophes (') to indicate a connection between words.
When an apostrophe is used between two words such as Turr'chackt, this generally means that Turr is the adjective, meaning someone who is old, while chackt transforms that adjective into a noun, forming the word Elder in Vortigese. If we have to translate this properly, we would say that Turr'chackt = Elder, the one who is old. This is how titles are constructed in the Vortigese language (word + ' + chackt). When you don't use chackt, but instead use two different words together with an apostrophe, then that means the 2nd word behind the apostrophe describes the way the 1st word in front of the apostrophe should be observed or interpreted. In other words, the 2nd word acts as the adjective.
When you connect two words with a hyphen, you basically combine two ideas together as in English. This is a way to form more complex words.
In addition to that, you need to keep in mind that counting in Vortigese is much different than in English. In Vortigese, the only concepts that exist are none (nothing), one (Vurr in Vortigese) and many (Bahh in Vortigese). When you need to specify how much of a given thing, a specific number, you use flux-shifting (telepathy) to provide that information. For more complex math, English is more preferred during RP.
1. You’re not allowed to use weapons. If any, it would be a melee weapon, but only as a last resort. The middle arm is not able to use a weapon of any sort. It's used for feeding, not battling.
2. You’re not allowed to heal yourself as a Vortigaunt with the Vortessence. Get treated by rebels or other Vortigaunts. When you're injured, you're weakened and thus are unable to make much use of the Vortessence.
3. You’re not allowed to powergame at any time. It’ll result in an instant removal of your Vortigaunt character.
4. You’re not allowed to metagame at any time. It’ll result in an instant removal of your Vortigaunt character.
5. You are not allowed to Fail RP at any time. Example of this is performing activities described in this thread such as those in the Common Mistakes section.
6. You can’t ‘sense’ people at all. Whether they have good intentions, bad intentions or hiding inside of a secret base.
7. You can’t read the thoughts of another human being.
8. You're not authorized to abuse your vortigaunt SWEP, at any point. If doing so, you will have your character removed and you will not be able to apply for vortigaunt again.
9. Acting unserious ICly for a prolonged period of time, also known as being a meme, is not allowed. This is especially true if you are disturbing others around you. You can have your character removed for this.
Free vortigaunt rules
1. You’re not allowed to teleport into the Nexus.
2. You’re not allowed to resurrect a person, without the required resources.
3. You’re not allowed to head to the surface, blast a unit and then immediately run back to the sewers.
4. You’re not allowed to be traitorous. If you've accepted a group of people, you’re not ratting them out, unless you have a seriously good reason. Please contact the vortigaunt leader, to prevent any misunderstandings.
5. You can’t telepathically contact an enslaved biotic.
6. You may perform one /me, to initiate a gunfight and then use your vortibeam. Remember to wait for their reaction first. If it's not a gunfight, you require at least two well-developed and detailed /me's. (This includes /it's.)